Friday, February 3, 2012

Gym Climbing in Tacoma

Well I've been stuck in Washington state the past couple of weeks for work without any of my gear and I wanted to do some climbing. I decided to hit a gym and get some indoor bouldering in so I looked up some places online and decided on Vertical World in Tacoma.

It was a pretty nice facility with mostly bouldering and just a couple of routes that could be set up for top rope. There were plenty of bouldering problems in a wide variety of grades on everything from low angle walls to big overhangs. They definitely had enough to keep me occupied and happy and I was completely pumped in about an hour and a half. I haven't been climbing much lately due to work and weather, I haven't even hit the ice yet this year, and I could tell this has affected me negatively for sure.

The staff there was really nice and helpful and the facility was pretty big for just having bouldering. They probably have the nicest padding setup I've seen, it was all covered in a vinyl like material with sewn seams so there was no gaps or separation in the pads, it was just one huge pad. They had minimal weight and cardio equipment so if you are looking for that sort of thing this probably isn't the place to go, but again the bouldering problems were excellent.

In summary, if you are in the Tacoma area and looking for a gym to get some bouldering in I would highly recommend Vertical World. Day passes are $12 and student passes are $6. You can check them out at Vertical World They have multiple locations throughout Washington if you happen to be somewhere else in this beautiful state.

No comments:

Post a Comment